Thursday 12 August 2010

Project Napin Table Mat

IMG_2648

So, the start of my sewing course has finally arrived. My sewing machine has been fixed, and my fabric has been washed. You could say I was all ready to go!

Project one is some funky looking napkins... now here we have a wee problem. Despite being uber keen and raring to go, I just wasn't sure about these napkins. I don't use them, or know anyone who uses them, and I so wanted my first project to be used.

After much agonising (about 30mins or so) I happened across a pattern in a sewing book for some table mats and realised that they were just the solution I was looking for. Everyone uses table mats :)

IMG_2650

I think it turned out quite well in the end, the ric rac proved a little taxing to start with. Me and my unpicker came to a good understanding after the third attempt (I tacked it in place and then used those stitches as my guide). I even attempted a wee bit of machine quilting over the top!

One down, three to go! :)

IMG_2644

3 comments:

  1. I did exactly the same as you - tacked, then used that as my stitching guide. Your table mats turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Way to improvise. I, too, was unsure about the practicality of the napkins, but I figured I could always give them away as gifts. But I like your table mat idea...hmmm...maybe next time!
    -e

    ReplyDelete
  3. I luv how you turn it into a mat (im a classmate by the way) the fabric is so cute also! Luving the last pic!

    ReplyDelete